Sitting astride his faithful mount "Stinker" Gerard Charles Lisle Howell of the Indian Civil Service poses for posterity at Lahore, Punjab, India in 1900.

A native of India, Howell was born at Dhere Ghazi Khan in Punjab on 16 March 1875 the son Lieutenant Colonel Horace Howell of the Bengal Staff Corps and his wife Ella. Like most
Indian born sons of British officers the younger Howell was sent to England for his education attending Lancing School in Sussex and later Christ Church, Oxford. Passing his exam for
the Indian Civil Service (ICS) in 1899 he returned to India and took up the post of assistant commissioner of the Northwest Frontier Provence. He was later Director of Fisheries for

Remaining with the ICS until the beginning of World War One, Howell volunteered with the colours at the outbreak of hostilities being commissioned a lieutenant with the 36th
"Jacob's Horse" Cavalry of the Indian Army and the Machine Gun Corps. He served with his unit in France and Flanders and according to
Imperial Vancouver Island - Who Was
Who, 1850-1950
Howell was gassed at the Somme. Howell received the British War and Victory Medals for his service during the Great War.

Having survived the war, Howell helped organize the British Trawlers Association, held an appointment as Secretary of the British Fisheries and served on the Fisheries Research
Advisory Committee.

Howell had married Miss Cicely Johnson in 1901 and the family (the couple had two sons) moved to Vancouver, British Columbia at some point after the war. As was the case
with other Indian born British like Rudyard Kipling, Howell it seems never quite left the place of his birth behind him and remained a member of the East India United Services Club
after moving to Canada. In 1921 he authored the book
Ocean Research and the Great Fisheries and sometime later a guide to an adopted hobby and past time Rudiments of

Cicely died in 1928 and Howell returned to England at least once in 1939 via the Panama Canal aboard the Furness Line Pacific Ranger stopping at Los Angeles, California on the
southward bound leg of the voyage. This trip may have been a permanent move as Howell died at Devon on 16 June 1949.  

Cabinet Photograph
Karim Bux - Photographer
Lahore, India