The future Royal Engineer Lewis Tizard was born about 1850 at Pennington, Hampshire to Joseph and Charlotte Tizard.
Lewis' father was a carpenter/joiner by trade so perhaps the craft oriented Royal Engineers was a natural choice for
Lewis wheh he chose to enlist.

Tizard attested as No. 10367 with the Royal Engineers on 18 March, 1870. According to his service records he was
promoted Carpenter on 1 September, 1870.
In 1871 Lewis was attending the School of Military Engineering at Brompton
Barracks. On 1 April, 1876 he was promoted Corporal Artificer while stationed at the Royal Engineers' South Camp at
Aldershot. He reengaged with the Royal Engineers as a Corporal Artificer on 2 February, 1882.

Tizard had his ups and downs while with the colours. His records show him forfeiting his good conduct pay in July, 1872
and again in August, 1882 at which time he was convicted by Royal Courts Martial of drunkenness while on duty and
reduced in rank to Sapper.

Tizard redeemed himself and was promoted to Wheeler on 18 March, 1883 and his good conduct pay was restored on 13
August, 1883. He received his last good conduct pay on 18 March, 1888.

In the above photograph Tizard is shown wearing the 1877-79 South Africa Medal with the "
1879" clasp, the Egypt
Medal with the "
Tel el Kebir" clasp and the Khedive's Star. His records show him arriving in Natal, South Africa on 3
April, 1879 until 27 January 1880. During the Anglo-Zulu War Tizard was a member of "C" (Telegraph) Troop, R.E.

C Troop, (only half of the troop was deployed to South Africa) was commanded by Major A. C. Hamilton, and consisted
of 5 officers, 172 other ranks, 109 horses and 13 wagons. Some of the men were involved in laying telegraph cables on
the line of advance of Maj-General H H Crealock's First Division and others a telegraph line which connected Fort
Pearson with Forts Crealock and Chelmsford. They were also issued and responsible for the use of four heliographs used
for long distance signaling.

Still with C Troop, Tizard took part in Garnet Wolseley's Egyptian Campaign in 1882 and was present at the battles of
Kassassin and Tel el Kebir.

He mustered out of service on 28 March, 1891 after completing 21 years, 11 days of service.

In May, 1891 Tizard married Maria Huffell in Fulham, London. The marriage did not survive long as Lewis Tizard died
in London in 1899.

Cabinet Photograph
W & J. Stuart - Photographer
47 & 49 Brompton Road, Kightsbridge, London S.W., England
c. 1885