This cabinet photograph of Captain Charles Hay of the 36th United States Infantry Regiment was taken in San 1872 as
indicated by the studio back mark which bears the slogan;
"The Only Elevator Connected With Photography In The
. 1872 was the years that the owners of the establishment - H. W. Bradley and William Rulofson installed at a
cost of $4000.00 an elevator that allowed access to their upper level studios.

The following biographical sketch of Captain Charles Hay, United States Army, is taken primarily from
Officers in the
Army and Navy Who Served in the Civil War
edited by Maj. William H. Powell, U.S.A and Medical-Director Edward
Shippen, U.S.N.

Captain Charles Hay (Subsistence Department) was born in Holmes County, Ohio on 23 August 1840.

He first entered service by enlistment at Cleveland, Ohio on 23 April 1861 as a Private for a three-month term in the 8th
Ohio Volunteer Infantry, After the expiration of his enlistment he re-enlisted with the 23rd Ohio Volunteer Infantry at
Camp Chase, Columbus, Ohio for three years serving out his enlistment as a private, Corporal and finally Regimental
Commissary Sergeant. With the exception of about three months in 1862, his service with the 23rd was in West Virginia
where it performed considerable scouting and marching and hand many minor engagements with the rebels, in nearly all
of which he participated. From August to October 1862 his regiment was with the Army of the Potomac in the campaign
through Maryland, which culminated in the battles of South Mountain and Antietam, in both of which he was engaged. In
the summer of 1863 Hay took part with his regiment in pursuing and intercepting the rebel raider General John Morgan
in Eastern Ohio and in June, 1864, was in General Hunter’s campaign against Lynchburg, Virginia which resulted
disastrously with the Federal troops being forced retreat to the Kanawha Valley, a distance of over two hundred miles,
through unfriendly country and harassed by the rebels.

In May, 1864, Hay passed examination at Washington DC before a board presided over by General Silas Casey for a
commission in the colored forces being appointed in July as a captain in the 55th Regiment U.S. Colored Infantry but
declined the appointment

Discharged by reason of expiration of service on 24 July, 1864, he entered the office of the provost-marshal of the 14th
Ohio District at Wooster, as deputy where he remained until 20 February, 1865 when he was commissioned Captain in
the 1st Army Corps of Veteran Volunteer Infantry then being organized by General Hancock. Assigned to the 5th
regiment he was on duty in Washington DC during the trail and execution of the Lincoln conspirators. His remaining
service with this regiment was at Providence, Rhode Island and on Staten and Hart’s Island in New York Harbor until
discharged on 28 May 1866.

Returning to Ohio, Hay entered the post-office at Wooster as deputy, where he remained until March 1867 when he was
commissioned a 2nd Lieutenant in the 36th U.S. Infantry, reporting for duty at North Platte, Nebraska. For the next two
years he served with the 36th at posts and in the filed in the vicinity of the line of the Union Pacific Railroad, the being
constructed, protecting its workmen in what was then hostile Indian country. At the reduction of the army from 45
regiments to 25 in 1869, he was placed on
“waiting orders” , and so remained until July, when he was assigned to the
23rd U.S. Infantry, conducting a detachment of troops to Carlisle Barracks in San Francisco, California then moving on
to Boise Barracks, Idaho where he served until after his promotion to 1st Lieutenant in January 1871, during which he
performed considerable escort duties in Idaho and Oregon.

His subsequent 18 years service with the 23rd was at posts in Oregon, Washington and Arizona Territories, Nebraska,
Kansas, Indian Territory, Colorado, Texas and at Buffalo, New York. During this time he performed all of the duties
incidental to an subaltern line officer, of which however, those of post-adjutant, quartermaster and commissary were
most frequent and most constant.

On 10 December 1888 Captain Hay was nominated by President Cleveland for Commissary of Subsistence with the
rank of Captain, and was confirmed 15 January 1889.

The following September he reported for duty at Denver, Colorado, where he is at present stationed as Purchasing
Commissary of Subsistence.

Hay is a member of the Loyal Legion, Commandery of Colorado.


Additional information not mentioned in
Officers in the Army and Navy Who Served in the Civil War:

Hay was the son of Simon Hay a fuller and carder by trade and Susan Korns. I have found any record of Hay ever
having married or having any children.

Captain Charles Hay died at Denver, Colorado on 27 June 1892 while still on active duty and was buried at Fort
Leavenworth, Kansas.


Photographers William Henry Bradley and William Rulofson where noted as the West Coast's premier photographic
studio with their well advertised elevator being a recognized novelty and marketing tool. William Rulofson was also
noted for his famous last words of
"I am killed" that were supposedly overheard by onlookers when he plunged past
their office windows after he
accidentally fell to his death off the roof of his studio in 1876. His brother Edward H.
Rulofson was also noted for his famous last words uttered on the gallows in 1870 during his hanging for murder in what
would be New York's last public execution. Apparently annoyed with how long the procedure was taking he remarked to
the hangman:
"Hurry it up! I want to be in hell in time for dinner."

Cabinet Photograph
Bradley & Rulofson - Photographer
429 Montgomery Street, San Francisco, California, U.S.A.
c. 1880