|Edric Frederick Gifford was born in London on 5 July 1849. His father was Robert Francis Gifford, 2nd Baron
Gifford, and his mother was Hon. Swinburne Frederica Charlotte FitzHardinge Berkeley. He was educated at
Harrow, and in 1869 entered the 83rd Foot. On the death of his father in 1872, he became 3rd Baron Gifford.
In 1874, at the age of 23, Gifford was a Lieutenant in the 2nd Battalion, 24th Foot (later the South Wales Borderers),
British Army during the First Ashanti Expedition, when the following deed took place for which he was awarded the
During the 1873-74 Ashanti Campaign, Lieutenant Lord Gifford was in charge of Scouts after the army crossed the
Prah, and he daily took his life in his hands, performing his dangerous duties. He ferreted out the enemy's
intentions, discovered their positions and took numerous prisoners. His courage was particularly conspicuous at the
taking of Becquah, Ashanti into which he penetrated with his scouts before the troops carried it.
In 1876, Gifford left the 24th Foot, moving to the 57th Foot. In 1878 he was in Cyprus, and in 1879 he was
aide-de-camp to Sir Garnet Wolesley in the Zulu War. Shortly afterwards he retired from the Army as a brevet major.
Gifford married Sophia Catherine Street in April 1880, then went to Western Australia in October 1880 and
immediately took up an appointment to the position of Colonial Secretary, and a nomination to the Western
Australian Legislative Council. After leaving Western Australia in January 1883, Gifford was Colonial Secretary of
Gibraltar from 1883 to 1887. In 1889 he became a director of the British South Africa Company.
Edric Gifford died on 5 June 1911 in Chichester, England. He had no children.
His nephew John Fitzhardinge Paul Butler also won a Victoria Cross.
Gifford is pictured here as a Lieutenant of the 2nd Battalion, 24th Regiment of Foot in the uniform worn during the
1874-75 Ashanti Expedition. The reverse of the photograph below bears what may be Gifford's signature.
Carte de Visite
Maull & Company - Photographer
187A Piccadilly & 62 Cheapside, London, England
25 March, 1875